Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Why I'm Not Excited to See Wes Anderson's New Movie


Let me just preface this by saying I love Wes Anderson. I think he's probably one of the most talented young filmmakers around today. The Royal Tenenbaums might be one of my all time favorite movies.

All that being said, after seeing the trailer I have to say I'm not very excited to see his new movie, The Darjeeling Limited.

While I'm sure the movie will be beautifully shot, I really feel that Anderson is starting to recycle subject matter he's already explored in his previous movies. Estranged family members reconnecting? Hmm...where have I seen that before? I also seem to recall another movie about the bumbling misadventures of a male trio?

Based on the trailer, I would also be willing to wager that quirky dialogue will ensue where people make statements they would never extend beyond interior monologue in real life. Male bonds will most likely be (re)cemented as well.

I guess this movie is set in India though, so, like, it's obviously totally different. Oh, and there's a train instead of prominent taxi cabs or boats.

I haven't seen the movie yet, so it wouldn't really be fair to pass judgement on it. I'm just not really dying to see this one. Sorry Wes.

P.S. Using the same actors doesn't help.

No comments: